Friday, July 4, 2008

Need Motivation? Erase This “Four-Letter” Word From Your Life!

It is the word, CAN’T. Yes, this little contraction of the word “can not”, as in “I can’t do (fill in the blank)”, can stop you - cold - from achieving the highest level of performance from yourself everyday. Here’s my definition of the word “Can’t”. Either you don’t know how to do something or you do not want to do something.

Of course I am not talking about illegal or immoral things, where a person’s moral compass would not allow them to do something that would be in conflict with their values.

What I AM talking about is having the courage to step out of your comfort zone and finding the information and tools you need to get the task at hand done, no matter how hard, or painful it might be.

There should be no single thing that can ever prevent a person from being successful. I see this first hand with a few of my clients. Those clients that use the word “CAN’T” most often are the ones that are unable to complete their tasks, even when the end result is in easy reach. Those clients that have a “can do” attitude and mind set are the ones that make significant progress.

I can think of nothing that should interfere with a person becoming successful. Not age, physical capabilities, health or wealth. Some of the most successful, and inspirational people in the world were those who did not let anyone or anything distract or move them from their success quest.

As a personal example, I decided at the ripe old age of 44 to study the martial arts. Since then, I have earned a 2nd degree black belt and won trophies in national karate tournaments. On a professional level, I decided to start my own business at the age of 47!

As another example, in my book, The Power Of Concentration – How To Take Control Of Your Life, I talk about a young woman named Alexandra “Alex” Scott who at 4 years old founded (yes, I said 4 years old, it is not a typo!) a charity for pediatric cancer research. For the next four years of Alex’s life, she continued to run her annual “Alex’s Lemonade Stand for Pediatric Research” and inspired countless others to do the same. Alex unfortunately died in 2004 at the age of 8, but her spirit lives on. At the time I wrote about her, the charity she founded raised over $5,000,000 for pediatric cancer research. Was Alex a success? Incredibly and inspiringly so! If a young lady with motivation and a “can do” attitude, can do this, there is no obstacle that you should not be able to overcome.


So remember, “Can’t” is one of the most disempowering words that you can keep in your thoughts and vocabulary. Start today, by erasing this word from your life, and see your performance soar!

No comments: